iOS 5 beta 5 was released recently to the developer community by Apple and as usual, it took the Dev-Teamless than a week to jailbreak it. They basically just updated their jailbreak tool i.e Redsn0w 0.9.8 b5, adding support for iOS 5 beta 5. It works using the same Limera1n boot rom exploit discovered initially by GeoHot and supports all current iOS devices except the iPad 2 i.e iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad and iPod touch 3G / 4G.
Like all previous beta releases, this one is also intended for developers only. It is also a tethered jailbreak meaning you need to connect your device via USB to your computer before each reboot and run redsn0w to boot into a jailbroken state. Below is our step-by-step guide on how you can jailbreak iOS 5 beta 5 using the Redsn0w 0.9.8 b5:
NOTE: Please proceed with caution. If you don’t know what you are doing or mess up your device in any way, iPhone DIY WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE!
Those iPhone users who rely on Ultrasn0w unlock, PLEASE STAY AWAY!
1. Download iOS 5 beta 5 from this link. You will find direct .IPSW download links there, so grab the one corresponding to your device.
2. Now restore your device to iOs 5 beta 5 using iTunes 10.5 beta 5. You can download it from the following links:
- iTunes 10.5 beta 5 for Mac
- iTunes 10.5 beta 5 for Windows (32 Bit)
- iTunes 10.5 beta 5 for Windows (64 Bit)
3. Download Redsn0w 0.9.8b5 for your corresponding operating system from the following links:
4. Extract Redsn0w once its downloaded and launch it. Now click Browse as shown in the image below and select the .IPSW file you downloaded in the first step. You firmware file will now be analyzed. When the processing completes, simply hit Next.
5. Just check Install Cydia as shown in the following image and click on Next.
6. Now you need to put your device into DFU mode. To achieve that, turn it off and plug it via USB cable to your computer, then click Next. Simply follow the on screen instructions as shown by Redsn0w. Don’t panic if you can’t get it right the first time. Simply repeat the steps till you succeed!
7. Once your device is in DFU mode, Redsn0w will automatically begin to jailbreak. Once the process completes, your device will reboot jailbroken on iOS 5 beta 5.
8. Since this is a tethered jailbreak, you’ll need to use redsn0w’s “just boot tethered now” option each time you want to reboot your device.
Got any questions? Feel free to ask them in the comments section!